Today Possenhofen Castle is best known as being the childhoodhome of Empress Elisabeth of Austria, née Duchess in Bavaria but it's History is much older. The Castle was build in 1536 for Jakob Rosenbusch who was Cancellor under Duke Ludwig of Bavaria. In 1600m the Castle came in the posession of the Hans Caspar von Horwarth. In the 30year long War the Castle was destroyed but rebuil by von Horwarth. After the died the Castle was bought by Elector Ferdinand Maria of Bavaria. It then changed his ownership a few times until it ended in the posession of the Counts of la Rosée. 1834 it was then acquired by Duke Maximilian in Bavaria the father of the Empress. It remained in the posession of the Ducal Family until 1940. After that it had different destination. In 1981 the Castle was bought by Prof. Franz Schilke who restored it to it's former Glory. As the Castle is owned prvat it can not be visited but one can walke around an has a good view on it.