Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Gate Guarding -- Tues., May 5

Cotulla, Texas:

We thought the gate was going to be quiet. We were half right: My night shift is deader than a doornail and Bob's day shift is busy. 

During the day, both Pad A and Pad B have activity. Bob comes back in the 5er to cool off in between check ins. He no sooner gets inside and gets seated than the motion sensor goes off and he heads right back out the door. 

Why doesn't he stay outside, you ask? Because it's 100 degrees. Today there was little to no wind, so it was just plain hot. The two air conditioners in the 5er keep it a cool 75-78 degrees. Much more comfortable than outside.

Our only news today was Bob's trip into town for groceries at the Super S. Oh, and tonight as I was closing the gate after a big rig left around 10:30 p.m., I saw my first scorpion. It was tooling along next to where I was walking. The color was tan...a very small, skinny scorpion with a curled tail held high. I let it be.

The other night I even let a spider live and it was chasing me! I abhor spiders and am a super spider scaredy cat. The only reasons I didn't stomp on it were: (a) I didn't like the looks of it, (b) it was chasing me, and (c) I was afraid if I tried to step on it, it would jump at my other leg and bite me--I didn't know if hopping on two feet to jump on it would be effective so I left it alone and ran away from it. Sheesh. I hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the you-know-what.

Pics of our site, clouds and the local flora:


The awning is out...good for more shade!
Beautiful sky this afternoon.



New signs went up this afternoon along the pipeline.

Pipeline about 20' from our 5er. Yikes!

A different view of our rig.

Desert flora--notice the spikes.

Again, notice the spikes on this plant.

Black-eyed Susans alongside the road.

The entrance to our gate from the road.