Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Us, Story of

Kerrville, Texas:
This is the story of us--Bob and Susan.

The Willamette Week ad read, "Hank Rearden type seeks Dagny Taggart type to help find Atlantis." The author is Ayn Rand and the book "Atlas Shrugged."

I was married twice before, had a baby from my second marriage, and swore off men after my second divorce. Swearing off men lasted about 18 months. It was time to date again. Bars were no use, I didn't want to marry a cheater or drinker. 

Plan B: local newspaper personal ads (this was before the internet). I don't know why I didn't think I'd find cheaters or drinkers in newspaper ads as opposed to bars. My success was much greater. I met super nice guys but didn't hit it off with any of them. They would make good friends, but I wanted a deeper relationship.

Until, that is, I saw Bob's ad (above). I thought, "HE sounds like the man I'm looking for." At the time, I was reading "Atlas Shrugged" for the second time. I sent off a letter in response to the ad. He called me a few days later. Our phone conversation went like this:

"Hi, I'm Bob. You responded to my ad in Willamette Week. Tell me more about yourself."

I responded by telling him I'm an independent thinker, a rebel, a mother who works full time, who enjoys dancing, hiking, playing cards, reading, photography.

He then brought out his list of interview questions:
  • What kind of music do you like? 
  • Who are your favorite bands? 
  • What movies do you like? 
  • What kind of food do you like? 
  • What kind of work do you do?
  • What are your favorite books?
After I answered all his inquiries, he said, "I'd like to take you out."

I said, "Hey, wait a minute! I don't know anything about you," and proceeded to ask him questions about himself. He was an accountant, had a son, was divorced. We enjoyed dancing, the same music and books, but his movie-going interest wasn't as strong as mine.

He invited me to dinner and because I felt so good about him, he was the only guy I let pick me up at my apartment. (Other guys had to meet me in a public place like a restaurant.)

My apartment was ground level with a parking spot in front of my door. I had a security peak hole in my door. When Bob came to pick me up, I watched him get out of his car through the peak hole in the door. Handsome!! When he knocked at the door, I threw it open and enthusiastically said, "Hi!" 

We went to a Mexican restaurant and hit it off immediately. I couldn't believe he knew the name of my perfume as it was his favorite. He also loved the blue sundress I was wearing. He thought I was pretty good looking. We jabbered on at dinner, enjoying our conversation.

After dinner we went dancing at a rock 'n' roll club. Very fun!

One week later he moved in with me; one month later we bought a house together. He did not want to get married again, I did. I say I had the last laugh at that time because our house mortgage was 30 years...many people don't stay married that long. 

Seven years later in front of families, co-workers and friends, we married in a small ceremony. (I'm a patient woman. LOL.) At our reception, we had a TV and chairs set up to watch the Portland Trailblazers in a play-off game. Yes, Bob is an avid basketball fan.

Bob and I each have one son from a previous marriage who are four years apart. Our blended family worked well most of the time and had the usual child-rearing controversies, but overall everyone seems to have turned out well.

Flash forward 29 years. Bob and I are more in love now than we were then (even living in our 5th wheel trailer -- about 320 sf).

Now you're up-to-date and Bob is unwinding in the easy chair.