Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Two 5K Volksmarches Before 9:30 a.m. - Tues., Aug. 6

San Antonio, TX - 

You would be so proud of me...I was at a walk start point to meet two other walkers at 6:15 a.m. Up before the birds. In fact, the bats were still out!

Stone Oak area:

Both of the other walkers decided to do 5K (3.1 miles), so I walked with them instead of turning off and doing the 10K walk. We finished as the sun was burning off the clouds.

Philippine potato vine
Potato vine up close - heart patterns.
Stone Oak neighborhood

Herb and Ellen - my walking buddies today.
Herb and I
The temperature is supposed to get to 102 today, so the local pet hospital posted a pet heat advisory on their sign.

Taco Cabana was our start and finish point, that meant I could have my favorite egg and potato burrito with salsa roja and a bottle of orange juice. Feeling revived, the Brook Hollow area was on the way back to the 5er. I hopped off the freeway and did another 5K walk.

Brook Hollow neighborhood:

Two beetles on this seed pod.
Fluffy plant gone to seed!!

Always deer on the Brook Hollow walk.
Close up of fawn.

The following picture is ball moss on a wire. It looked so funky and eclectic, I took a photo.

Ball moss.
Beautiful flowers on a tree.
By the time I finished walking at 9:10 a.m., the sun was out and it was hot and humid! Ugh. Glad I got going early.

For the two years we've been full-timing, there's been a hummingbird feeder in our "basement." Saturday, Bob put it up. Quickly discovered, four hummingbirds are now having turf wars over the feeder.

Black-chinned hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri)
Black-chinned hummingbird

Juvenile female black-chinned hummingbird, San Antonio, TX
Black-chinned hummingbird

We'll see what the rest of the day holds. Right now, I'm going back to sleep.

Travel Bug out.