Friday, July 20, 2012

A Declaration -- Fri., July 20

San Antonio, Texas:

I declare I intend to eat healthier. With all the hiking we're about to embark upon, I'm thinking the pounds have to start melting away.

What good fortune came our way today. I needed a few items and tooled down the road to buy them at Super Walmart. While there I checked out their fruit and veggies. My, oh my. Good stuff...so I stocked up. Cantaloupe for $1 each, fresh ripe peaches, Washington state Bing cherries, bananas and golden Delicious applies. I found some very fresh broccoli and cauliflower and bought those too. Our little 5er fridge is chock full of healthy food. 

My plan is to use the fruits as my "go to" food when I have a craving for sweets. As soon as I made my way back home and washed the fruit, I had cherries and a slice of cantaloupe. Yum. 

For dinner we're having Sloppy Joes on whole wheat buns with steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Guacamole is on the menu too (found just-ripe avocados and tomatoes at the store) which I will serve with "Food Should Taste Good All Natural Multigrain Tortilla Chips" from Costco.

The 5er repair guys were supposed to return today, but apparently one part has not come in. They've got Monday to finish before we skedaddle to points west. I know they'll show because they said they'll collect payment when they finish! They can't collect payment if we're not here.

Tomorrow we will do another Volkswalk, we're thinking the one to four missions which will probably take a good portion of the day by the time we read all the history and I take a mess of pictures. Temperatures are supposed to reach 98 F.

On Sunday, I want to do the Broadway neighborhood Volkswalk which spends some time in Brackenridge Park. I'm thinking shade under the big, old trees. Temperatures are supposed to reach 97 F.

Bob found some glitches in his work's 2011 year-end report yesterday and spent until 2:00 a.m. at work trying to sort through the books and find supporting documentation. He was hoping he'd have everything worked out with the accountant and the report would be finished today. The accountant leaves on a two-week vacation tomorrow and we leave for six weeks on Tuesday. At least Bob will be available by phone and internet.

Today I received one of two FedEx boxes I've been waiting for. It's a bird feeding pole which has five arms for hanging bird feeders, suet, and a water dish. The other package I'm expecting has a bird feeder and a shower squeegee. Here's hoping it makes it before we leave. 

Somewhere in our 5er basement I have a hummingbird feeder that has lived down there since last October. Finally, I'll be able to hang it up! Who has a good recipe for hummingbird feeder nectar? Please share.

Bob is finally showing some excitement about our upcoming trip. Maybe working until 2:00 a.m. knocked some sense into him.

Before we leave on Tuesday, we will make one last Costco run for bottled water and to stock up on dry cereal. Oh, and a Petco run to stock up on Sunnie's wet food. (Sunnie and Bowie eat different wet food and each doesn't like the other's wet food. Spoiled rotten fur-kids.)

For those of you without RVs who are thinking of full-timing, here are a few pics of a lived-in 5th wheel.
Our kitchen with the slide out.
Slide out wall of kitchen.
A slide out pantry--wonderful, wouldn't be without one.
Washer/dryer closet--used for cat box, mops, brooms, vacuum.
Kitty play time:

Gozer gozerian. ("Ghostbusters" reference)
 

"Shall we take this outside?"
It's so fun to watch them play. They leap over each other, fly over the stairs and go at it for about 10-15 minutes. Very entertaining.

Travel Bug out.