Thursday, April 4, 2013

Driving -- Thurs., Apr. 4

Driving and playing tour guide, pointing out sites, Lake Mead
National Recreation Area.
I love to drive. It's a good thing because we've chosen full-time RVing as our lifestyle. Yes, that means we LIVE in our 5th wheel trailer. In October 2011 we sold our home in Hawaii and made the decision to travel the United States. We do not have the means to retire, so we "workamp," which basically means we work and camp. But that's another topic.

Throughout my life I've enjoyed a good road trip with tunes crankin' on the radio. A favorite is Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down a Dream."
"It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was a drivin'.
Trees flew by, me and Del were singin'
Little Runaway, I was flyin'.

"Yeah, runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Workin' on a mystery, goin' wherever it leads,
Runnin' down a dream.

"I felt so good like anything was possible
Hit cruise control and rubbed my eyes..."
Tom Petty captures the feeling of a road trip.

"I felt so good like anything was possible"... When I drive, I look at the scenery, listen to music, sing along, and contemplate life. Driving is good therapy, that's when I have time to review my life and where it has taken me.

There are some people, Bob included, who happily listen to books on tape while driving. Not so for me. I can't concentrate on a book...my mind is fully engaged watching the road, keeping an eye on other drivers and thinking. I guess that's when my mind finds time to solve all of life's mysteries ("workin' on a mystery").

I interpret "Runnin' down a dream" to mean exploring the country, having freedom to meander or stop wherever/whenever we want, meeting friends and relatives along the way, finding interesting history, places and hidden gems.

One of these days maybe you'll see me "Rockin' Down the Highway." (Doobie Brothers)

Travel Bug wishing she was driving off into the sunset.