Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Party and Aftermath -- Tues., Jan. 1, 2013

Happy New Year!
Here we are, in 2013. Doesn't feel a whole lot different from 2012. But, oh what a year 2012 was.

Yesterday, I went to Petco and Walmart to pick up a few items. We divided and conquered, with Bob braving Costco. I have to question our sanity going to Walmart and Costco to buy just a couple of items and standing in line for 15 minutes. At least those items are taken care of and the cats will live to eat another day. Plus we bought our contribution for the New Year's Eve Party at the RV Park--pumpkin pie, whipped cream and bite-sized cream puffs.

The RV park hall was so festive. About 40 people attended the party; it wasn't nearly as crowded as Christmas dinner. A bonus, plenty of room on the dance floor (most of the time).

Dance floor and decorated ceiling--see the balloons by the ceiling?

Our table (empty except for us).
We sat at an empty table and no one came in after us, so it stayed empty. Around 10:30 p.m., someone we didn't know (Nancy) came over and invited us to join them at their table. How sweet was that?

Nancy, Jim, Susan and Bill made us feel welcome. As Nancy and I got to talking we found we had a lot in common. They love hiking to waterfalls and had recently spent time in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan hiking. She recommended a Michigan waterfall book to us. And to think we're going to Michigan in mid-September 2013. What a serendipitous meeting.

Jim and Nancy
Jim and Nancy dancing. Aren't they cute?
The party was fun. We danced, ate, talked, and had a little champagne at midnight: a nice, mellow New Year's Eve party. Bob and I walked out to the bridge on the main road and watched the San Antonio fireworks going off by Tower of the Americas. We had no idea, but San Antonio's fireworks are second in size to New York City's fireworks. We couldn't see them that well as they were a few miles away, but we did stand on the side of the road to watch them for a little while.

When we returned to the party, it was winding down and a lot of people had left, including the band. Another New Year's Eve party complete.

The Aftermath.
Today Bob worked on finances and now is watching the Rose Bowl. I've been reading Facebook and blogs. 

Where 2012 took us:

New Year's Eve 2012 we watched fireworks over downtown Reno, Nevada. Reno was our home for three months where Bob worked doing service sales for a commercial roofing company.

On April 7, we headed for an RV-Dreams rally in Kerrville, TX which started April 23. Our trip south from Reno went through Las Vegas, Phoenix, Las Cruces, NM, Ft. Davis, NM, Big Bend National Park, finishing in Kerrville, TX for our rally. 

When the rally was over, it was time to go to work to pay bills. We heard gate guarding was a way to make good money with little outgoing expense. Our campsite would be provided at the gate as well as a big generator tower with lights, water and black tank pump-out. 

After reading about gate guarding we decided to give it a try. The job is 24/7, so Bob and I each took 12-hour shifts to check trucks in and out of the gate. Our gate was a few miles outside of Cotulla, Texas. We lasted two months. It was very hard for us as we could not go out together as a couple. 

After our gate guarding stint, Bob found a job in San Antonio. We tucked ourselves in to Travelers World RV Resort until our six-week driving trip.

For six weeks (July/August), we took our 5th wheel and explored: Mesa Verde National Park, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Grand Tetons N.P., Yellowstone N.P., Cody and Thermopolis, Wyoming, Mt. Rushmore N.P., Black Hills of South Dakota, Custer State Park, S.D., Minuteman Missile N.P., and sights in Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma on our return trip to San Antonio. Whew!

Upon returning to San Antonio we settled in but not to snug-ly. On September 21, we drove to Corpus Christi to spend the weekend walking and sightseeing around Corpus and Padre Island. As we were completing a Volkswalk on Friday night, I tripped on a curb and broke my face, thus putting an end to any further sightseeing that weekend. All I saw was the inside of the hospital until Tuesday morning. Kind of changed our lives for a bit.

My jaw was wired tightly shut for a month. The wires came off about six days before our trip. I was able to eat on our trip, but had to cut all food up in little pieces first. No taffy, peanut brittle or anything too chewy. (Luckily, I don't eat many foods like that.)

In October, we headed off on our adventure to Australia by flying to Portland, Oregon and staying at Mom's for two days; spent three days in Honolulu, then a month in Australia to celebrate my 60th birthday. What a great trip that was! It's all chronicled in my blogs in November and December.

December 17 we returned to the 5er in San Antonio. This is where we'll be for the foreseeable future. In other words, who knows? Life keeps changing and we adapt. 

2013 promises to be a good year, one in which we plan to see family members whom we have not kept up with over the years: Bob's great aunt in New Orleans; my aunts, uncles and cousins in Michigan, and there may be some others we surprise as well. I also plan to have my teeth fixed ASAP this year. 

Miles traveled in the U.S. in 2012: 7,068 (Bob and Susan); 1,545 (Susan) = 8,613.

Miles traveled in Australia in 2012 (in ONE MONTH): 4,430 (7,145 km)

Overall, though, 2012 was a hell of a year. It will be hard to top it. Bring it on 2013, we're ready for you.

Travel Bug just starting out the New Year. (Like a fawn on wobbly legs.)