Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Hobbit 3-D -- Thurs., Jan. 17

Oh, yeah. I am a long-time J.R.R. Tolkien reader and was enthralled with Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy of movies. Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro worked together on the screenplay for "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey." I was not disappointed. 

Not deterred by the critics who disapproved of Jackson's use of 48-frames-per-second film technique, I thoroughly enjoyed the 3-D which was at its best in the goblin and dwarf caves, looking down through layer upon layer of footbridges. 

The story is tight with action, conversation, warring rock beasts, snarling wolf-like creatures, wizardry, and an unlikely hero's journey. Bilbo Baggins is brought to life from the pages of Tolkien.

Because the one novel, "The Hobbit," is being made into three movies, there are two more to look forward to. Bring 'em on. If you like fantasy/sci fi and have read Tolkien, I recommend you see this movie; otherwise, you probably wouldn't like it.

After the move, I did a one-mile walk around the RV park. One day I drove the Escape pod around the park and figured out exactly one mile. Now I can walk laps and I'll know how far I've gone.

Tonight I watched "Last Resort" and the "Project Runway" finale. Project Runway was disappointing. I thought the least deserving person won. Oh, well. I'm not a fashion critic. 

Tomorrow will be a busy day. Early in the morning: laundry. Mid-morning I'm off to Costco to pick up my repaired hearing aid. At noon, I will see "Les Miserables." Then Bob and I are going to the Spurs game at night. Woo hoo.

All for now. Travel Bug out.